Head Space will offer an out-of-hours service for people who consider that they are approaching a mental health crisis. The service will aim to provide a non-clinical setting with a safe, calm and structured environment, where individuals can go to access peer support.
Head Space - An Introduction to Our Newly Commissioned Service
Staff and volunteers will be on hand to provide support in both 1:1 and group settings, with the goal of de-escalating crises, setting achievable goals and (where appropriate) working with the Wellness Recovery Action Plan. Onward referrals/signposting will take place as required.
Clients do not need a formal appointment. However, a prior telephone or email contact, with relevant information from services would be most helpful.
Individuals can also self-refer to Head Space by attending during our opening hours.
Intoxication will not be a barrier if there is no disruptive or violent behaviour.
If you decide to visit Head Space:
You will be actively listened to
You will not be interrogated
You will not be given unsolicited advice
You will not be judged
You will be accepted for being you
You will be acknowledged for your strengths
You will be treated as a person and not an illness
- Anyone who believes they are approaching a mental health crisis
- Is open to the idea of talking to a peer member/or receiving support
Who’s not appropriate?
- Those experiencing acute mental ill health or a psychotic episode
- Anyone exhibiting aggressive/violent behaviour
- Individuals whose issues are not related to mental health
The service aims to achieve several outcomes:
- Reduce attendance and reliance on statutory services (particularly unscheduled care and ED department)
- Reduce contact with the crisis response mental health teams if support can be provided more appropriately
- Reduce impact on Police, including time spent dealing with mental health issues
- Reduce inappropriate admissions to hospital
- Promote recovery offering activities that increase confidence, social networks and tackle isolation
- Raise awareness of mental health and promote earlier intervention
How to get here by bus
Volunteer Opportunities are available now!!
Please click on the picture to download one of our application forms.